Butternut squash is by far my favourite of the squash family! Did you know that squash is a fruit and not a vegetable? I just learned that! There are so many forms of squash available including the pumpkin which is a real hit at this time of year. Try looking for a fall recipe without finding something “pumpkin spice” – it’s all the rage!
I am going to shine the light on the sweet butternut squash today and share with you a rich pasta dish using this wonderful tasting squash! It’s healthy, creamy (with no cream) and very satisfying!
To start, the squash needs to be roasted. I peel and seed the squash, cut it into chunks, drizzle olive oil over top and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Then into the oven it goes for about an hour at 375 degrees.
Once the squash is done (you should be able to pierce a fork through it), I let cool slightly.
While that’s cooling, I cooked the Italian sausage links and got the pasta going. When the sausage is done, I set it aside in a paper towel lined bowl, just to remove as much of the oil as possible.
Now that the squash has cooled a bit, I put the squash in my food processor with the olive oil, sage, nutmeg and chicken broth, and pureed until smooth. I added in about 2/3 cup of the chicken broth and ended up with a thick, smooth consistency. If you prefer a thinner sauce, simply add in more chicken broth.
To serve, I put a scoop of cooked pasta in a bowl, topped with cooked sausage and butternut squash sauce and enjoyed for supper and then leftovers for lunch!
- 3 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground sage
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup chicken broth
- 4 links, Italian sausage, sliced
- Place cubed butternut squash on a cookie sheet or casserole dish. Drizzle with 2 Tbsp olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper over top. Add in minced garlic and baked everything at 400 degrees for about 60 minutes, until you can pierce a fork through the squash.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about 10 mins.
- Cook sliced Italian sausage links until fully cooked.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Once squash has cooled, put cooked squash in blender or food processor, add in olive oil, sage, nutmeg and chicken broth, and puree until smooth. Add more broth if you want a thinner sauce.
- Place cooked pasta in bowl, top with cooked sausage and butternut squash sauce.
What kind of dish tastes like autumn for you!? Do you alter dishes to make them more healthy so you can eat more of it!?