My husband and I like making our own barbecue sauces and when we found this cherry chipotle barbecue sauce recipe in the Champion BBQ Secrets for Real Smoked Food cookbook we thought it sounded amazing! We made it a couple times and were going to see what we could change to make it our own, but it is so good, we left it almost as is; the only thing we changed is we increased the amount of cherry juice. We also processed the sauce in canning jars to keep them longer.
Cherry Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
Start by putting all ingredients into a pot and bring to a boil over medium heat on the stove.
Once at a boil, reduce heat and let simmer for 20-30 minutes. In the actual recipe it called for a 10 minute simmer, but since we increased the cherry juice, we wanted it to reduce for a little longer.
Ladle sauce into canning jars and once the canner is boiling, process jars in the bath for 10 minutes. Remove jars and enjoy as needed with smoked chicken, pulled pork, on chicken wings, or on any meat that includes the only three rubs you need!
If you choose not to process the sauce, it will keep in an air-tight container for up to six months in the fridge.
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup cherry preserves
- 1 cup cherry juice
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp chipotle pepper sauce
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp onion powder
- In a medium sauce pan bring all ingredients to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for 20-30 minutes to let flavours blend.
- Keeps in fridge for 6 months in air-tight container.
- If you want to keep it longer, and maybe not in the fridge, preserve it by putting the sauce in canning jars and processing in a bath for 10 minutes.
Do you make your own sauces?