Ah rhubarb. It grows like a weed. Maybe it is a weed; I am not sure!??
I have made an Alberta Rhubarb Cake previously that turned out amazing, so I figured I would work with the ingredient again to try out some rhubarb muffins.
My mom’s rhubarb plant (bush?) supplies both hers and my rhubarb summer needs. I am always looking for new ideas to use it and was in the mood to bake (weird, I know). As I mentioned in my previous Lemon Poppyseed Loaf post, I don’t consider myself much of a baker; it’s not my favourite thing to do because you can’t really play around with the recipe much. It’s a science. Also, I am not a huge fan of sweets or desserts; I prefer the salty and fatty foods, really. But Greek yogurt rhubarb muffins with a sweet-and-spicy, crispy brown sugar, cinnamon and ginger topping, sounds like a perfect snack for camping (which was where I was headed when I made these!) or a quick breakfast!
Easy Greek Yogurt Rhubarb Muffins
To start these easy-to-make rhubarb muffins, I mixed the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another. Then I added the wet to the dry.
I mixed using my KitchenAid just until it turned into a batter and made sure to not over mix.
I then carefully folded in the rhubarb just until it was evenly distributed throughout the batter. After placing paper liners in the muffin pan, I filled each liner with the batter, until I had none left and they were each pretty even.
Next I mixed up the the muffin topping (brown sugar, cinnamon and ginger) and sprinkled it evenly across the muffins – and into my preheated oven they went!
Once a toothpick was inserted into the centre of the muffin and came out clean (about 18-22 minutes), my muffins were ready!
They are best served warm – Enjoy!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 8 Tbsp melted butter
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups 1/4-inch-diced rhubarb
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 F and line a muffin tin with paper or foil baking cups.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the flours, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda and salt and mix to blend.
- In a separate bowl whisk the Greek yogurt, melted butter, beaten eggs and vanilla until smooth.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry with a spatula until the batter comes together. Fold in the diced rhubarb.
- Divide batter into the muffin cups until 3/4 full in each cup.
- Make the topping by combining the sugar and cinnamon together well and sprinkle about 1/2 tsp of mixture over each muffin.
- Bake the muffins until they are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean - about 18-22 minutes.
- Let muffins cool on a wire rack - or enjoy while they are still warm!
Do you like muffins? Try these Greek Yogurt Blueberry Muffins!
Do you have rhubarb growing like a weed in your yard? What are you doing with it?