Today’s Hershey’s Caramel Kisses Slutty Brownies post is special; special because I am lucky to participate in the #FoodBloggerLove campaign! So this is what happens: Food bloggers from all over sign up to be a part of the campaign, and then we are assigned another awesome food blogger, in which we can recreate one of their recipes and share their awesomeness with all of you! If this is of interest to you, check out the Facebook page and you can join next year!
I was assigned with Katie Cakes, a professional baker who blogs about all of her delicious, sweet baked goods!!! Katie also runs her own cupcake shop, Pet Lamb Patisserie, with her best friend in the United Kingdom! If you have been following along with my blog, you know that I am not much of a baker; so this is super exciting (and a tad scary) for me to try out one of these baked treats! I could have gone the easy route, and recreated one of her cocktails, or savoury recipes… but I wanted to honour her properly by recreating something from her own profession – so fire up the oven and bring out the cake pans! Chews and Brews is going to bake!
Hershey’s Caramel Kisses Slutty Brownies
So once I decided I was going to recreate a baked item, I then had to look through a whole lot of amazing desserts! I drooled over Toasted Almond Lemon Bars, Kick Ass Chocolate Chunk Cookies, and White Russian Cupcakes. Two hours later (seriously! I couldn’t stop!), I narrowed it down to the Creme Egg Slutty Brownies. These looked amazing and easy enough for an amateur baker like myself! My only change to this recipe was I used Hershey’s Caramel Kisses instead of the Creme Eggs, for two reasons. One was that it’s a few months from Easter so I couldn’t even find Creme Eggs or even Caramel Eggs, so I had to find an alternative. And two, because it’s near Valentines’ Day and this is #FoodBloggerLove, it seemed perfect to substitute with the Hershey’s Caramel Kisses! If you want to try this recipe yourself, Easter is coming soon and the Creme Egg’s should be showing up on the shelves shortly – the original recipe using the Creme Eggs looks insanely delicious!!
Now, let’s get on with these Hershey’s Caramel Kisses Slutty Brownies!
As a Canadian who uses a mix of imperial and metric measurements (I know, we are weird), I wasn’t used to recipes in grams. In my recipe below you will see I converted everything to cups, but it was all done with some shady math skills… so if you want accuracy, I suggest weighing out all of your ingredients. I weighed out everything to the gram.
- 225 g (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 100 g (~ 7 Tbsp) soft, light brown sugar
- 300 g (1 1/3 cup) caster sugar (super fine ganulated)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 350 g (1.5 cup) self raising flour
- 150 g (2/3 cup) chocolate chips
- 12 Hershey's Caramel Kisses, unwrapped
- 175 g (3/4 cup) unsalted butter
- 175 g (3/4 cup) dark chocolate
- 175 g (3/4 cup) caster sugar (super fine ganulated)
- 3 large eggs
- 100 g (~ 7 Tbsp) plain flour
- Preheat oven to 340 F and prepare a 20 x 30 (cm) brownie tray, or use a disposable tray.
- For the cookie dough layer, cream together the butter and sugars till light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing between each addition followed by the vanilla extract. Add the flour and mix until just combined, stir in the chocolate chips. Press the dough into your prepared pan in an even layer. Place the Hershey's Kisses down on top of the cookie layer, in 4 nice neat rows of 6 kisses. Set aside while you make the brownie layer.
- In a large saucepan over a low heat melt the butter and chocolate together. Remove from the heat and add the sugar and stir together. Crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk. Slowly pour the eggs into the chocolate mixing as you go, until combined. Add the flour and stir until the white streaks just disappear. Pour the brownie mixture over the cookie dough and Hershey's Kisses making sure everything is covered but your don't over fill the tray. Bake for 40 minutes, until just set.
- Allow to cool in the fridge over night before cutting into squares and enjoying.
- I attempted to convert the measurements from grams to cups, but when I made this, I measured everything out exactly - so if you want accuracy, I recommend weighing out the ingredients.
Check out the other #FoodBloggerLove posts!