Ginger lime chicken is a simple, with few ingredients, healthy type of recipe. After the hustle and bustle of the Christmas and New Years holidays, I like to keep things clean and healthy with a goal of getting back on track. This ginger lime chicken recipe is just that: healthy and simple! If you don’t include the olive oil or pepper, it only required four ingredients! It is full of flavour and can be whipped up and on your plate for dinner in just over an hour. It marinates for a 1/2 hour and bakes in the oven for another 1/2 hour – simple! Add a side salad or a roasted vegetable dish, and you have yourself a healthy dinner in a flash!
Healthy eating does not have to be difficult. One of my 2016 blogging goals is to offer healthy and simple dishes that are staples in my house. We commute to work every day, so our day begins early (5 am) and we don’t make it home until the evening (usually after 5 pm), so on weeknights, I want something healthy, but simple and quick!
Ginger lime chicken can be prepped in 5 minutes – set it to marinate for at least 30 minutes (perfect amount of time to push out a workout) and then pop it in the oven with some veggies roasting – maybe roasted parsnips and carrots or sautéed kale and chard! I am also a firm believer in eating carbs – I will never remove them from my diet! A small side of tarragon roasted potatoes or a small portion of brown rice would be my choices for this. Any of these sides can be prepped before your workout and started while the ginger lime chicken bakes!
Ginger Lime Chicken
Start the ginger lime chicken by making the marinade. Mix soy sauce (I use the low sodium stuff), olive oil, lime juice, lime zest and ginger in a dish and add chicken and set aside to marinate. Now go workout for at least half and hour!! Okay, you can do whatever you want, but that’s what I am going to do!
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Remove chicken breasts from marinade and put in an oven safe dish. Put chicken in the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes, until chicken is completely cooked. That’s it! Simple and delicious!
Alteration – try it grilled!
- 2 chicken breasts, skinned and boneless
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Juice of 1 lime, plus the zest
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, minced
- Fresh ground pepper
- Mix together soy sauce, olive oil, lime juice and zest, and ginger.
- Place chicken breasts in marinade and let marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Remove chicken from marinade and place in oven safe dish. Grind fresh pepper over chicken and put in oven for 30 minutes, until fully cooked.
- If using chicken with bone in, or large chicken breasts, adjust baking time accordingly.
- Use ground ginger if no fresh on hand.
- Regular soy sauce can be substituted.
Are you trying to eat more healthy foods in 2016?
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you click on one of the product links, I’ll receive a commission. All opinions are of my own.