One of the easiest ways to incorporate beer into a recipe is to use it as part of a marinade for meat. You can add some of your own favourite ingredients to a beer to make the perfect marinade for chicken, beef, pork or seafood. For this honey jalapeno strong beer chicken I used a strong beer from Delirium as my marinade base and added in jalapenos, onion and garlic, honey, vinegar, salt, soy sauce and olive oil. For added flavour, I made a pico de gallo salad to go with this honey jalapeno strong beer chicken.
Honey Jalapeno Strong Beer Chicken
Delerium Nocturnum is a strong dark ale from Brouwerji Huyghe in Belgium. It has a heavy malt flavour with some spicy notes. I really liked the spicy notes and thought right away it would be great in this marinade with jalapenos added and a little sweet honey to settle the spiciness down.
Simply create the marinade for the honey jalapeno strong beer chicken by adding all of the ingredients together and mixing well.
Add chicken and marinate for at least 1 hour, and up to 12 hours for a stronger flavour.
While the chicken is marinating, make the pico de gallo salad by adding all of those ingredients together in a bowl and stir to combine.
Once marinated, grill the chicken until cooked through (no pink, about 30 mins) and serve with pico de gallo salad.
- 1/2 cup strong dark beer*
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 4 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp smoked sea salt
- 2 chicken breast
- 3 Roma tomatoes, cut into bite sized chunks
- 1 orange pepper, cut into bite sized chunks
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced finely
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Mix all ingredients except for the chicken, in a bowl and stir well to combine. Add chicken to the marinade and let sit for at least 1 hour, and up to 12 hours.
- Once chicken is done marinating, grill chicken until cooked through.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl and set aside until chicken is done.
- Serve chicken with pico de gallo salad and your favourite brew, of course!
- * I used Delirium Nocturnum