Pilsner beer is the world’s most popular style of beer, invented in the Czech Bohemia, by Josef Groll in 1842, at the Pilsner Urquell brewery. They haven’t changed their recipe since; however, other versions from Germany, USA and other countries have developed. Enter the Four Star Pils, a Pilsner beer from Goose Island Brewing. This pilsner takes a blend of German and American hops to create their own pilsner style of beer that is crisp, refreshing, tastes of buttery biscuits and herbal/floral bitterness. As soon as I was thinking of buttery biscuits while tasting this beer, I knew it had to be incorporated into a biscuit recipe, and that is how we have pilsner beer biscuits!
This particular pilsner pours a golden clear yellow with a lot of white bubbly head. It smells mildly of biscuits, cracker, some floral notes and some orange citrus notes. Overall, this is an easy to drink beer that would pair well with a lot of foods. I’m thinking anything at a ball game; anything from the grill; or foods that are deep fried such as an assortment of pub-like appetizers; or pour yourself a glass and enjoy with these pilsner beer biscuits themselves!
Once you have preheated your oven and you have all of your ingredients together, whisk together the dry ingredients until mixed well.
Add in the melted butter and beer and mix well. Take your mixture and turn it out onto a floured surface. Roll it out to about 1-1.5 inch thick. Cut circles out of the dough and place the pilsner beer biscuits onto a foil-lined cookie tray, having them touch each other.
Bake in oven for about 20 minutes, until the tops are nice golden brown. If you want that extra buttery flavour, after baking in the oven, brush the tops with some melted butter and put under the broiler for 1-2 minutes.
Be sure to watch out for my next post – a beer beef stew using a nice, rich dark beer!! Perfect timing for the fall and winter nights that are coming!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose white flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 5 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 1 cup beer
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients until mixed well.
- Add in the melted butter and beer and mix well.
- Take mixture and turn it out onto a floured surface. Roll out the dough to about an inch-to-inch-and-a-half thick. Cut circles out of the dough (I use a small glass, but you might have access to an actual cookie cutter!). Place the raw pilsner beer biscuits onto a foil lined cookie tray, having them touch each other.
- Bake in oven for about 20 minutes, until the tops are nice golden brown.
- Optional: After baking in the oven, brush the tops with some melted butter and put under the broiler for 1-2 minutes.