You first saw a glimpse of this purple cabbage slaw in the Chipotle Salmon with Avocado, Apple, Yam Salsa post as it was my side dish for that meal. I was inspired to make this purple cabbage slaw from one of my Thug Kitchen cookbooks. First, I must mention that if you don’t have a Thug Kitchen cookbook, you need one. They are all about vegetarian cooking and they aren’t afraid to drop F bombs throughout the book. I love reading their recipes and eating them too! Second, the differences from their slaw recipe and mine are that I used my homemade Pale Ale Grainy Beer Mustard, bourbon maple syrup and black mission fig balsamic vinegar. Now let’s get into this slaw!
Purple Cabbage Slaw
This is going to be another recipe blog post that is ridiculously easy. No excuses on not trying this one! Unless you hate slaw… then I am not sure what to think about that!
I whisked the vinaigrette ingredients together first in a small bowl.
Then I added that vinaigrette to the bowl of my shredded cabbage, carrots, mint and salt.
Mix well and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds. And done! Seriously, this is that easy! You can eat it right away, or put it in he fridge for about an hour to let the flavours meld a bit more.
Purple cabbage slaw should be a staple side to any of your upcoming barbecue and summer meals!
- 2 - 3 cloves, minced garlic
- 1/4 cup black mission fig balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 Tbsp maple bourbon syrup
- 1 tsp grainy pale ale mustard
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 4 cups thinly sliced purple cabbage
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1/4 cup minced mint
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- Whisk the vinaigrette ingredients together first in a small bowl.
- Add vinaigrette to the bowl of shredded cabbage, carrots, mint and salt.
- Mix well and sprinkle toasted sesame seeds on top.