Borscht is one of my all time favourite soups. It reminds me of spring and summer because of all the fresh vegetables, and it also makes me think of fall and winter because of the warmth and the types of vegetables, that is root vegetables, and particularly beets!
Borscht is a soup made mostly from beets, plus other vegetables and lots of dill. It is of Ukraine origin and even though I am not Ukrainian, it is a soup I grew up with. I have always loved the sweet, savoury and dilly flavours this soup brings and find it best served with a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt.
For this recipe I had a lot of fresh vegetables, including beets, in my fridge that I needed to use before they spoiled. I have seen many versions of borscht made, some with or without cabbage, potatoes, celery and carrots. I put all of these vegetables into my soup for added flavour, nutrients and to simply get them out of my fridge!
Wash all vegetables and cut up into bite size pieces.
Heat oil in dutch oven and sauté onion and garlic until soft, about 5 minutes.
Add in the chopped celery, carrots, beets and potatoes and cook while constantly stirring to avoid burning, until vegetables start to soften, about 15 minutes.
Add in the chopped cabbage, salt, pepper, tomato paste, brown sugar, broth, vinegar, water, bay leaves and dill. Stir the mixture well, bring to a boil and let simmer while occasionally stirring for about 45 minutes.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt! This soup is an excellent appetizer to a main meal of pierogis, cabbage rolls and kielbasa; or eat it on it’s own for lunch!
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium sized beets, diced
- 4-5 stalks of celery, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 10-12 baby potatoes, diced
- 1/2 head purple cabbage, chopped
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 1/2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp champagne vinegar
- 4 Tbsp dill
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4.5 cups chicken broth
- 7 cups water
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Heat oil in dutch oven and sauté onion and garlic until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add in celery, carrots, beets and potatoes and cook while constantly stirring to avoid burning, until vegetables start to soften, about 15 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients to pot. Stir well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let simmer while occasionally stirring for about 45 minutes.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt!
- Use white wine vinegar if you don't have champagne vinegar.
- Make it vegetarian by using vegetable stock instead.
What is your favourite soup?